Sunday, January 6, 2008

You can eat out and still eat healthy!

I don't like the term "diet". There is the implication that you're doing something with regards to eating that is temporary. What I'm trying to do is make good choices now, and for the future. However, I don't want to make my friends and family uncomfortable because I'm trying to make healthy food choices.

After a great service at church today, my family (all 8 of us!) was talking about where to eat for lunch. During the discussion, as each restuarant was mentioned, I tried to think about what I might order, and still make healthy choices. This can be difficult if you've not thought about it beforehand. Why not go ahead and list the top 5 places your family enjoys eating at, and research their menu, come up with at least 3 entrees for each place you could order and still achieve your nutritional goals? Order your salad without all the cheese, and ask for the dressing on the side. Make sure they don't drench your vegetables in butter. Add salsa to meats to improve flavor. If you like baked potatoes, ask for all the "goodies" on the side and practice portion control. Better yet, consider a sweet potato and make sure the cinnamon and butter come on the side.

Now let's be totally honest. There is no way that I will never eat banana pudding again. However, I am very particular about whose I eat, and when I do get it, I work hard to practice portion control. I no longer eat from the bowl! If there's something that you really love that isn't particularly healthy, just be thoughtful about how often and how much you enjoy at a time. As my 18 year old daughter said this weekend, "Life is too short to not eat what I enjoy". There is some truth in that, but I explained to her that eating what I enjoy may help make my life shorter. So be careful! Be thoughtful!

2 comments:

Ken Girard said...

Is it better to live a life that is dull and boring, or one that is filled every second with doing what you love?

Or put another way: When your 103 and drooling on yourself in the old folks home do you want to look back on a life with no good memories, or punch the clock at 70 having lived a life that has everyone saying "He lived to the fullest"?

Dr. Hoyt Gazaway said...

I'm not sure what you're getting at. Do you mean to say that eating healthy and taking care of your body is "dull and boring"? If so, I don't think you have to worry about being 103, or 70 for that matter.
Feeling good and making healthy choices,is absolutely living "life to the fullest".